‘Where to eat and what to eat there’: Fooditor editor Mike Gebert and Big Guy’s owner Brendan O’Connor
This week, it’s a trip to Berwyn (said in the best possible Svengoolie voice) for amazing food from Big Guys Sausage Stand. I’m joined by peerless food writer Mike Gebert (owner and editor-in-chief of Fooditor, author of The Fooditor 99: Where To Eat and What To Eat There) and Big Guy’s owner Brendan O’Connor.
We recorded right before Christmas, when Big Guy’s seasonal sausage was the “Rudolph Sausage”: Yes, a holiday-themed venison sausage that was unbelievably delicious.
On this Boost Mobile-sponsored episode, we discuss:
- Mike’s written lovingly about Big Guy’s and reinforces that in the podcast: “The best heir to Hot Doug’s is this place right here.”
- Why is twice-cooking essential to fries?
- The Big Guys’ burger: “It’s got some girth.”
- At roughly 10 minutes in, I inexplicably start calling Brendan “Brandon.” Don’t ask me why.
- Brendan’s (winning) battle with cancer.
- “If you own a restaurant and you get sick, you’re kinda fucked.”
- Of the restaurant’s previous late-night hours:”The Berwyn after-hours crowd was not that attractive.”
- The Fooditor 99: What’s new this year?
- Since Mike’s one of the best damn food writers in the city, I take lots of time to pick his brain on a handful of Chicago eateries. I ask him to zoom in on kickass places to eat when on a super tight budget.
- How do you identify a good Mexican place? A good clue is if it says “heche a mano.”
- Mike’s living a fantasy life, involving housemaids and pie.
- Chicago “date night” restaurant recommendations.