Tacos in a Bag eaten by creator of death metal’s most evil album covers: Dinner with Matt ‘Putrid’ Carr
Illustrator and artist of countless death metal album covers, Matt “Putrid” Carr, joins me for Taco in a Bag (4603 N. Lincoln Avenue). Special thanks to Taco in a Bag owner Patrick Bertoletti for the hospitality and amazing food! And thanks to Car Con Carne’s official sponsor, Boost Mobile, for making this episode possible.
In this episode:
- Matt likes horror and comic books: “How are we not already best friends?”
- The relative weight of Taco in a Bag: “I want to roll this down a lane and knock pins down with this.”
- My behind-the-counter interview with Taco in a Bag owner Patrick Bertoletti
- Matt tried the Mikerib Deluxe; I had the Angry Bird.
- My bar for good food: Does it come in a bag?
- “Your Diet Coke doesn’t smell like Diet Coke… It wouldn’t possibly be Old Style.”
- My Madison road trip that diverted to the Beef Jerky Outlet.
- Would artisanal jerky work in Logan Square?
- Just as we were wrapping up the Facebook Live feed, Bertoletti dropped by the car with AMAZING KEY LIME PIE DONUTS.
- Patrick’s work as a competitive eater
- When did Matt start becoming the go-to guy for death metal artwork?
- Matt’s influences, including EC Comics, Berni Wrightson and Warren horror magazines.
- Our early childhood experiences seeing “Alien” for the first time.
- Why moving to Chicago 13 years ago was the perfect decision.
- What would Matt do if Maroon 5 asked him to do an album cover?
- Manowar: “You can’t fuck with those guys.”
- Matt’s all-time favorite horror movies.
- The best horror movie anthologies.
- Why create b&w art?