Bruce and Paul (Plant and Page), of world-class Led Zeppelin tribute band Led Zeppelin 2, join me for a special show recorded inside Nighthawk Coffee Bar and Tavern (4744 N. Kimball). Food this week is from the excellent Hot Dog Station (4742 N. Kimball), whose Chicago dogs and mushroom/swiss burger capped the recording off perfectly.
On this week’s show (brought to you by Boost Mobile), we discuss:
- How Led Zeppelin 2 started
- How Paul and Bruce became the thing they hate
- “Black Stabbath,” their first tribute band
- We achieve consensus on what the best Zeppelin album is
- The steady growth of Led Zeppelin 2, from the House of Blues to Israel
- Blind Willie Johnson’s take on the gospel song “Nobody’s Fault But Mine”
- The band’s approach to covering Zeppelin: It’s less about the studio versions and more about the live presentation and vibe
- The importance of stressing the band’s Chicago roots
- Should Led Zeppelin 1 have one more go at it?
- The Chicago-style dog: How hot dog places should be judged
Thank you to Nighthawk for the hospitality and for just plain kicking ass.