‘Someone’s a Car Con ***hole’ – Talking punk rock with Daryl Wilson (Bollweevils) and Denis Buckley (88 Fingers Louie)
It’s a Chicago punk rock summit as I’m joined by returning guests Daryl Wilson (The Bollweevils) and Denis Buckley (88 Fingers Louie) at Dante’s Pizza.
Here’s what we talk about this week:
- Is Denis now tied for most-frequently appearing guest on the show?
- “I have no agenda.”
- Why in the hell did I say Blaze Pizza? It’s DANTE’S. And Dante’s is sooo much better.
- I got the lion’s share of grease. That’s what you get for grabbing from the bottom of the bag. Daryl thinks the grease will be absorbed subcutaneously. He’s a doctor.
- Purell hand sanitizer is the only thing I had on hand to solve the grease problem.
- Dante’s slice of the day scared us.
- A car almost hit us right at the onset of recording.
- Jesus Jones gets more “airtime” than they have in 27 years.
- Full confession: Daryl and I went back for “seconds” the last time we recorded together.
- The 90s punk scene that birthed The Bollweevils and 88 Fingers Louie (Okay, technically Bollweevils started in ’89).
- The return of Apocalypse Hoboken. I need to work on the liner notes for their album release.
- “Punk rock is kind of self-destructive in a way… we’re all damaged.”
- Denis could have been a fireman, if not for punk rock.
- “To be clear, I’m going to be hosing off my hands.”
- Not only does the podcast promise to get sexier as it progresses, but Daryl and Denis arrived on **** *** night!
- “Let the dirt wash over you.”
- Denis and Daryl’s board games of choice.
- We’ve all been playing Monopoly wrong.
- Denis and Daryl’s first concerts: “Can I include an opera?” “No.”
- Kids going to concerts now vs. kids going in the 80s.
- Cheap Trick’s setlist problem.
- Daryl to Denis: “You don’t pick fights with people you can beat.”
- Fugazi broke up a fight between Daryl and Denis.
- There’s nothing more punk rock than a “Frasier” reference.
- Favorite movies are discussed: Blues Brothers, Blazing Saddles, Big Trouble in Little China, Truth or Dare. Wait… Truth or Dare?
- Why am I “dead” to Daryl, and what made Denis call me a “Car Con Asshole.”
- A weird circus bike rode past the Boost Mobile Mazda 3. Damn hipsters.
- “She Caught the Katy” is one of the best songs in Blues Brothers.
- Favorite horror movies are discussed. “Alien” makes it to the top of the list.
- RIP the Golf Mill Theater