This week, it’s the 4th annual Baconfest episode with Baconfest (https://baconfestchicago.com/) co-founder Seth Zurer! We’re joined in the Mazda CX-9 (courtesy the Autobarn Mazda of Evanston) by Tim Graham, chef/owner of the fantastic (and relatively new) dining destination Twain (2445 N. Milwaukee Avenue).
Baconfest is one of my favorite things to do every year. This year’s event is on April 5 and 6, and each session has roughly 50 restaurants serving unique bacon creations.
Discussed this week:
- The mouth-watering, must-try food from Twain. Tim brought the following three dishes into the car: Braised pork shank, twice-baked potato gnocchi and the wedge salad with bacon steak.
- The bacon steak is deep fried in tallow! We live in an age of wonder!
- The inspiration for Twain’s menu: An exploration of midwestern food pathways, including discoveries from hundreds of spiral-bound cookbooks from womens’ leagues.
- Seth brought the coveted Golden Rasher trophy into the Mazda CX-9!
- Higher brain function ceases to exist for me after Baconfest.
- There’s an “atomized bacon aroma” around Baconfest.
- Baconfest is a marathon, not a sprint.
- Seth is comforting… and delicious.
Car Con Carne is presented by The Autobarn Mazda of Evanston.
Thanks again to Twain for the hospitality!