For this year’s “Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day” (April 26), I’m joined by my 11-year-old daughter, Fiona, for a trip to Grecian Kitchen (3938 Dempster Street in Skokie). My 16-year-old son, Noah, opted out of this year’s podcast, which left Fiona “disappointed.” http://traffic.libsyn.com/carconcarnepodcast/CCC_FVO.mp3 Discussed on this week’s show, sponsored by BOOST MOBILE: […]
Chicago actor Mickey O’Sullivan jumps in the car for diner food from his favorite place, The Golden Apple (2971 N. Lincoln). I was lucky to steal time with Mickey, he’s super busy these days playing “Chef Dan” on “The Chi” on Showtime. Related: GREAT SHOW. Watch it here! http://traffic.libsyn.com/carconcarnepodcast/CCC_MOS.mp3 In this Boost Mobile-sponsored episode, we talk about: […]
Mike Reidy and Karen Righeimer from W.O.R.M.(World Organization of the Righteous Movement) meet me at Village Inn in Skokie (8050 Lincoln Avenue) for a podcast episode that includes a live performance and a visit from Village Inn Managing Partner, Desi Mulingbayan.
Covered this week:
- Village Inn is “a lovely place (in) a lovely community.”
- W.O.R.M. history.
- The first song I played on my 21st birthday ties back to W.O.R.M.
- W.O.R.M.’s opening for Pigface’s anniversary show last year.
- How Karen’s aggressiveness got her the bass gig with the band
- The correct pronunciation of “ukulele.”
- Mike’s a “backseat artist.”
- W.O.R.M. CANNOT BE OUT-GOTHED.
- The beauty of old school bar fights.
- Karen dressed for the occasion.
- Desi and I are both Niles West High School alums; we were both “Indians” before someone in the school district realized the mascot was offensive
- The Village Inn menu: Over 100 items?
- Karen’s realization of Village Inn’s awesomeness: “There’s a bar??”
SPONSORED BY BOOST MOBILE
I’m joined by Real Urban Barbecue owner Jeff Shapiro at his new location at 5238 Touhy in Skokie (“Smokie”). I’ve been going to his Highland Park location for years, and was a fan long before he broke ground just west of the Edens. http://traffic.libsyn.com/carconcarnepodcast/RUB_CCC.mp3 DOWNLOAD Before we started the podcast interview, he took me on […]
Styx drummer Todd Sucherman is one of the best in rock and roll, something he reminds us of every time he sits behind the kit at a Styx show. He and I go way back… to freshman year of high school. We haven’t properly hung out since we were both Niles West Indians, so it […]
Just last week, I watched an early rough of the Car Con Carne TV pilot. Simply put, I can’t wait for you to see it. In the meantime, here’s a longform audio version of one of the segments, an interview with Chicago Sky superstar Allie Quigley. We talk about her younger days in Joliet, through […]
I’ve known and adored fellow radio personality Tim Virgin for a very long time. For this week’s show, Tim met me at Herm’s Palace, a long-standing hot dog joint in Skokie. I had the Polish sausage with pastrami, he had the fried salami. Here’s what you’ll learn in this episode: Chest hair doesn’t grow as […]