Author David Himmel joins me for tacos from Turbo Taco (2050 N. Milwaukee). We talk at length about the radio business and Himmel’s excellent radio memoir, “The Last DJ: The Life and Times of a 20-Something Oldies Radio Disc Jockey.”
Discussed in this week’s episode:
- David is a customer of the Autobarn Mazda of Evanston!
- Breaking Bad’s one bad episode: We disagree on this one.
- David’s unabashed love for the art of radio.
- The three things one needs for a career to work: Opportunity, education and money.
- The perils of an office romance: “It’s stupid.”
- Working on radio promotions with area brothels.
- Radio parents will never understand what their kids do for a living.
- That time David went on a blind date with a listener.
- David’s ideas-in-development for future books.
- Why would any true Chicagoan wait behind a velvet rope to pay for a nightclub experience? This is a tavern town.
Car Con Carne is presented by The Autobarn Mazda of Evanston.